Reading Room, community hall, library, closure and renewal

The hall was erected in 1873 as 'a reading room for the working classes'. Books and some newspapers were supplied for the use of farm labourers and factory workers in the evening. The institute was closed in 1881 for to lack of support, and used as a wool store until September 1885.

In September 1885 it was re-opened and in 1893 extended to host reading room, billiards, and an annual dinner and dancing.

In 1919 land at the front of the hall was purchased from the Cooperative Society and an upper storey and staircase added to commemorate the return of the men from The Great War.

During the Second World War, the Hall was used as a kitchen but closed shortly afterwards. The Hall was closed for a spell but re-opened in 1956. It has been used ever since as the Village Hall incorporating, up until the 1970s, a small county library.

An extension was constructed in the early 1970s to provide a skittle alley, bar and kitchen next to the main hall, and new toilet facilities.

The hall is now a focal point of the village – a meeting place for groups and classes and a venue for fund-raising events, wedding receptions and much more.